As a parent, you probably hear the words “what are you doing” dozens of times every single day.
Sometimes it’s a valid question, but at other times it seems so obvious that you wish your child just uses their eyes and intellect to work it out themselves!
Or better yet, you wish they just don’t ask the question in the first place.
If you find you are being asked the WYD question too frequently, it can be fun to reply with an amusing or witty response.
This will hopefully stop your little one in their tracks, and over time if you give enough funny answers you might might even dissuade or stop them them from this asking this question in the first place!
So without further ado, here are 60 amusing replies that are obviously not what you currently are doing.
Funny Responses To “What Are You Doing?”
- Same old, same old.
- Trying to be invisible.
- Being quiet – you should try it.
- Minding my own business – why don’t you try it too.
- Deciding whether to put you up for adoption.
- Wondering why I had children.
- What are you doing?
- Wouldn’t you like to know.
- Performing brain surgery, you?
- Pretending I can’t hear you.
- Meditating, so be quiet.
- Thinking of the answer to your silly question.
- What do you think?
- What does it look like?
- You wouldn’t understand.
- It’s too complicated to explain.
- Being cool.
- Who’s asking?
- Wait, who told you?
- Devising a plan to get rich.
- That would be telling.
- It’s a secret.
- If I told you I’d have to kill you.
- Visualizing life without kids.
- Pretending I can’t hear you.
- Baking a cake – want to help?
- Living the dream.
- Not much, just being a legend.
- I don’t know.
- My business is not your business.
- Solving world hunger.
- Devising a plan for world peace.
- Devising a plan for world domination.
- Zoning out.
- Whatever you’re not doing.
- Just surviving.
- Waiting for my problems to go away.
- Can’t you ask a better question.
- That’s for me to know and you to find out.
- I’m too busy to tell you.
- Keeping Gotham safe.
- Just breathing.
- Pretending to work.
- Pretending to care.
- On a top secret mission.
- Just enough to stop my boss from hassling me.
- Writing a best-seller.
- Training for the Olympics.
- Trying to get rid of you.
- Wasting my time answering your stupid question.
- Slowly dying.
- Dreaming of a world without idiots. And you?
- Thinking about lunch / dinner / chocolate / ice cream / my next snack.
- Gaining wisdom.
- Training to be an astronaut.
We hope you found the list of answers above to be useful and humorous when next answering the WYD question.
As there are a range of answers, from witty and sarcastic to mean and funny, it’s important to choose the ones that are best suited to your child’s age.
With young children there’s a fine line between curiosity, seeking attention or being bored, so where relevant you might want to consider why your child is asking the question in the first place.
Young kids are particularly fond of asking the what are you doing question hundreds of times a day, and even older children are not immune to asking it just to solicit a response.
With these 60 answers you should have the means to reply with something that can make you feel amused at what can be a pretty annoying situation!