If you are planning to choose a midwife it’s important to spend some time getting to know them, so you can select someone you can trust and feel comfortable with.
Knowing about their experience, philosophy, way of working, amount of care they provide and their fees all play a major role in helping select the right midwife for you.
So in this article we will look at the most important questions to ask a midwife during the first appointment or interview, as well as what questions to ask after you’ve chosen your midwife.
Questions To Ask When Interviewing A Midwife
- How long have you been a midwife? What did your training look like and how long did it last?
- Why did you become a midwife? Why do you enjoy most about your job?
- How many births have you attended?
- Do you practice solo or as part of a team?
- Where do you attend deliveries? e.g. At birth centers, home, hospital?
- Will a student midwife be involved in providing my care?
- How many planned births do you accept per month? How many women are under your care at any one time?
- If you are not available when I go into labor, what is the back-up plan?
- Are you available via phone, text or WhatsApp? Are there any specific days or times you are not available?
- What happens if I’m overdue?
- What is your hospital transfer rate during labor?
- At what point in labor do you prefer to get involved? At what stage would I call you?
- What equipment do you bring with you to a delivery?
- What checks do you perform during labor? Do you perform vaginal checks during labor?
- Who will catch the baby? Can my husband or partner catch the baby?
- Have you ever lost a baby or mother? If yes, what happened?
- Can you tell me any emergency situations you have dealt with?
- Do you have hospital privileges? If yes, at which hospitals?
- How often will our appointments be?
- In what situations would you recommend a caesarean section?
- What are your preferred procedures immediately after the birth (e.g. skin to skin, delayed cord clamping, newborn examination)?
- How will my baby and I be cared for after the birth / during the postpartum period?
- Do you have references I can contact?
- Are there any additional or surprise costs I might encounter while in your care?
- What are your fees? Do you offer payment plans or accept insurance?
Questions To Ask After You’ve Chosen Your Midwife
- When is my baby due?
- How often will we meet? Should we schedule in our appointments now?
- When will I have scans or ultrasounds. How can I prepare (other than dressing appropriately for the ultrasound)?
- Should my husband come to any key appointments?
- What symptoms can I expect as my baby grows? (In addition to common pregnancy cravings).
- Are there specific symptoms I should tell you about during my pregnancy?
- Are there any specific types of foods I should eat while pregnant? (For example protein is very important during pregnancy).
- Are there any specific types of foods I should avoid while pregnant? (Such as undercooked meat or dried foods like beef jerky).
- What type of exercise if safe during my pregnancy – from gentle exercises like backpacking and hiking to more strenuous activities like deadlifting or squatting? What about during the first / second / third trimester?
- Are there any activities I should avoid? (Such as getting a piercing, which isn’t safe for pregnancy women, swimming in cold water, camping or getting a foot massage).
- Do you recommend I take any supplements?
- What medications should I avoid taking?
- How long does morning sickness tend to last?
- Can I have a home or water birth?
- Can I use a heat pad while I’m pregnant?
- When should I stop working?
- When should I stop traveling overseas or by airplane?
- Can I eat and drink during labor?
- How many people can be in the delivery room with me?
- What vaccinations do you recommend my baby has after the birth?