Using a nickname is a lovely way to express affection and endearment, which is why we created a list of the best nicknames for baby boys, baby girls, grandmas, grandpas, great grandmas, great grandpas, cousins and even family group chats.
So in this article we’ve created a list of 50+ traditional, cute, funny and cool stepdad nicknames, to hopefully help you find the perfect nickname for that special father figure.
Table of Contents
Traditional Nicknames For Stepdads & Father Figures
Many children still like to call their stepdad or father figure the name “dad” or “daddy”, which is of course fine if all parties are okay with it.
Some other variations or the word dad, and other traditional nicknames for stepdads and bonus dads include:
- Old Man
Cute Nicknames For Stepdads & Father Figures
A lot of families like to use a nickname for a stepdad that is as cute and sweet as the dad himself.
So if you’re looking for a sweet or cute nickname for a fatherly figure, check out these examples:
- Big Bear
- Big Pa
- Care Bear
- Daddy Bear
- Daddy Cakes
- Mi Padre (Spanish for “my father”)
- Numero Uno
- Pa (followed by their name)
- Papa (followed by their name)
- Papa Bear
Funny Nicknames For Stepdads & Father Figures
Adding a bit of humor to a stepdad’s nickname can be a great way to inject a bit more personality in the name, and it can be a way to reference their unique personality or other personal traits.
Here are some of the best examples of funny nicknames for stepdads, father figures and bonus dads.
- 2nd In Command (assuming mom is number 1 of course!)
- Big Guy
- Bonus Dad (see below for what a bonus dad is)
- Boss Man
- D Man (as in Dad Man)
- Daddy 2.0
- Daddy Cool
- Daddy Poppins
- Mac Daddy
- MD (stands for My Dad)
- Mom’s Man
- Mr D (as in Mr Dad)
- Old Man
- Other Dad
- Papa G
- Person In Charge
- Pop Star
- Step Daddio
- Step Dude
- Step Guy
What Is A Bonus Dad?
Have you heard the word bonus dad and are wondering what is a bonus dad vs a step dad?
The answer is simple as a bonus dad and stepdad are are the same thing.
A bonus dad is a man who helps parent a child from another father, and in practice this could be the boyfriend, partner, husband or friend of the child’s mom.
Typically a bonus dad is seen as a role model by a child, and they will take on many of the responsibilities a parent usually bears.
How To Choose The Best Nickname For A Stepdad
Remember there is no right or wrong name regarding what to call an stepdad or father figure, and sometimes it’s best to go with what’s natural, fits well or is easy to pronounce.
Some other things to consider when choosing a nickname for a stepdad include:
- Check the man in question likes the nickname and consider letting them veto anything they dislike.
- Choose a name that’s appropriate for the stepdad’s personality and age.
- If your child’s biological dad is still around and present, then you’ll probably want to use a different name to the one your child calls them.
- Is applicable, consider how the biological dad will feel about the name and if it would offend them.
- Keep the nickname for your child’s stepdad short, simple and easy to say.
- And finally, don’t stress too much about it, and remember that it could work best if your child decides what to call their stepdad.