Who doesn’t love a nickname!
Given there’s often a special bond between grandma and their grandchildren, using an alternative name for grandma can be a special and personal way to honor that bond.
Many people find the word grandma a little too traditional or not quite cool or fun enough for their taste, and if that’s you, you’ll love our list of alternatives.
So to go with out list of aunts, uncles, sons, daughters, nephews, nieces, cousins, brothers, sisters, moms, dads, stepmoms, stepdads, grandpas and even family group chats, let’s check out over 50 cool, cute, fun, sassy and unique grandma names.
Table of Contents
Cute & Sweet Grandma Names
Many kids like to use a nickname for their grandmother that’s sounds almost as sweet as their grandma’s herself!
So if you’re looking for a cute or sweet name for your grandma, try one of these:
- Granny Pie
Fun Grandma Names
Fun, funny and hippie grandma names are like personality-based nicknames with added humor!
If your child’s grandma is cheeky or entertaining, or you’re looking for a hippie grandma name, then you might love one of these:
- Big Momma
- Gam Gam
- Gran Gran
- Mi Mou
- Mom’s Mom
- Moo Moo
Cool Granma Names
Age is just a number, and there are many cool grandmas out there that deserve an equally cool nickname!
Here are some cool grandma names that may suit the trendy grandmother in question:
- Gam Gam
- Maw Maw
Sassy Grandma Names
Is your grandma a little on the lively side and full of energy?
Nicknames that are related to a grandmother’s personality add a personal touch, so if your grandma is sassy then you may want to consider one of these awesome names:
- Gi Gi
- Ma Ma
Young Grandma Names
It’s worth remembering that not all grandmas are old!
If you’re looking for an awesome young grandma name, check out these cool options:
- Glam Nan
- Insta Gram
- Insta Gran
Unique Grandma Names
Are you searching for a grandma name that is a little out of the ordinary?
If you are, you might love some of these unique grandma names:
- La La
Tips For Choosing The Best Grandma Name
There is of course no right or wrong answer when it comes to choosing a name for grandma.
A lot of families like to go with what feels natural and fits their grandmother’s personality well.
A few other things to think about when choosing a nickname for your grandma include:
- Check grandma likes the name and consider letting them rule out anything they particularly dislike.
- Choose a name that’s appropriate for grandma’s age and personality, as the name for a grandma in their 50’s is likely to be different to one in their 80s.
- Use different names for different sides of the family, so that all grandparents have a different nickname.
- Keep the name short, simple and easy to say.
- Lastly, don’t stress too much about it, and remember that sometimes it works best if your the kids decide what to call their grandma, even if they are still babies or toddlers.