Coming up with a name that you’re truly happy with – whether it’s a first name, middle name or nickname – is often a lot harder than it looks.
Some lucky parents instantly know what they’re going to call their child, especially if (1) there are some excellent choices already within the family, or (2) you and your partner have discussed and agreed on a name during or even before pregnancy.
But for everyone else (myself and my wife included), the naming process can be very different – and best described as anything from a fun activity and a task you’re looking to solve, to a challenging, stressful and even controversial subject.
That’s why we decided to create an extensive section on our site to help you navigate this journey, with tips, advice and inspiration for a range of first name, nicknames and middle names:
Table of Contents
- Strong Female Names From History
- Posh Girl Names
- Elegant & Sophisticated Names
- 4 Syllable Girl Names
- 10 Letter Girl Names
- 9 Letter Girl Names
- 8 Letter Girl Names
- 7 Letter Girl Names
- 6 Letter Girl Names
- 5 Letter Girl Names
- 4 Letter Girl Names
- 3 Letter Girl Names
- 2 Letter Girl Names
- Unisex Names
- Emo Names
- Posh Boy Names
- Handsome Boy Names
- 9 Letter Boy Names
- 8 Letter Boy Names
- 7 Letter Boy Names
- 6 Letter Boy Names
- 5 Letter Boy Names
- 4 Letter Boys Names
- 3 Letter Boy Names
- 2 Letter Boy Names
- Unisex Names
First names have their time and a place, but many times it can be awesome to use a nickname for a child, family member or even a teacher.
Some of the reasons why we all love a good nickname include:
- Nicknames are FUN – particularly if you opt for a funny one or allow your creativity to shine through when choosing the nickname. Try naming your boobs and tell us the process isn’t fun!
- Nicknames are PERSONAL – people are typically known by their first name most of the time, but there might only be one or two people who call you by another name, and that can make it much more personal and special.
- Nicknames are MEMORABLE – I’m sure you can remember some great nicknames that you called your friends at school. Why? Because a good nickname has a way of being remembered for years after its conception!
If you’re hitting a brick wall and are looking for some much-needed inspiration, here are some of the areas we’ve covered:
Nicknames For Your Little One
Nicknames For Toys & Friends
Family Member Nicknames
- Great Grandmas
- Great Grandpas
- Family Group Chats
Boys & Girls Nicknames
7 Tips For Choosing The Best Nickname
- If you are looking for a nickname that is directly derived from someone’s first name, then clearly you’re going to be somewhat limited or are going to need a lot of imagination to come up with something unique. The good news is that there’s nothing to say the nickname you choose doesn’t need to be directly linked to someone’s given name, in which case your options will increase a lot!
- Good nicknames are often linked to things like someone’s looks, personality, hobbies, and interests such as music, sports, food, and travel.
- Short, simple, and easy to say is a combination that’s hard to beat when it comes to nicknames.
- We all love humor, but remember it needs to be appropriate, which means different things depending on the situation. If using humor, try to strike the right balance between a name that is funny, and one that is outright rude or offensive.
- If you cannot choose between several nicknames, there’s no reason why you have to limit yourself to just one!
- Test run the name, by which we mean once you’ve come up with a potential name or two, start using the name and see if it sticks and sounds “right”.
- And finally, have some fun and don’t overthink things too much, because a nickname is not forever and can be easily replaced if outgrown.
Now is the time to move on to selecting an equally good middle name, which again is harder than it looks.
Middle Names For Boys
- Jack (see our list of the best 4 letter boy names)
- Leo (from our list of the best 3 letter boy names)
Middle Names For Girls
- Isabella (this is of course my personal favorite as it’s the name of my daughter!)
- Lily (from our list of the best 4 letter girl names)
- Mia (from our list of the best 3 letter girl names)
8 Tips For Choosing An Awesome Middle Name
- Family First: If honoring a relative’s name is important to you or your family, then you may wish to consider selecting a name that is already in the family, such as the name of a mother, father, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, or grandparent.
- Avoid Fads: Unique names can be cool, but you may wish to steer clear of passing trends as you’ll clearly want your child’s nickname to stand the test of time.
- Take Your Time: The naming process naturally takes some time, so it’s best not to rush the process.
- Make A Shortlist: A lot of people find that it helps to start by creating a shortlist of all the names you and your partner like that go with your child’s proposed first name.
- Narrow Down: Once you have your list, it’s time to be ruthless and cross off any names you don’t absolutely love, as this will help you narrow down to your true favorites.
- Say It Aloud: Say their first name and the potential middle name and surname aloud a few times to get a sense of how all the names sound together.
- Initial Check: Quickly check the initials of the names don’t spell anything rude – if they do you’ll be glad you checked!
- Don’t Force It: If you’ve hit a brick wall and feel you’re not making any progress, take a break for several days, because when you return your mind should be fresher and you should hopefully find yourself making progress again.